College 101: Preparing to Pop the Question? 4 Things to Consider Before Getting Engaged

You met your partner, they swept you off of your feet, and now you want to spend the rest of your lives together. Sure, there are hard times ahead, but do you have to think about that yet? Can't you stay in the honeymoon phase a little while longer?

If you have some difficult conversations now, you may solve future problems before they arise. Use the following prompts to build a strong foundation for your marriage, so that it can be the fairytale ending you've always dreamed of.

Do you have similar lifestyles?

photo-1489924482931-41c82360d29d.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of Scholarship Media

You may have decided where you'll live as a couple, but have you considered your joint lifestyle? Ask your partner if they prefer walking to the neighborhood grocery store, or making big trips to a superstore to buy in bulk. On a beautiful weekend afternoon, do they prefer walking around a lake or exploring an urban neighborhood? Does it matter to them that they experience all four seasons every year? These kinds of questions don't have to be dealbreakers, but you should know where you're going to have to compromise before you tie the knot.

If you haven't yet settled on a home, don't just peruse real estate websites and assume you understand the national market. Use data. Nalula is a new real estate technology company that strives to bring transparency to the real estate industry via essential data. Unique filters let you know if a deal is good or bad in the current market conditions, which will help you know how quickly you need to move or how flexible you need to be with your price negotiations. Tell your friends to look at Nalula, too; they will also want to get informed before making the largest financial decision of their life.

Can you afford a wedding right now?

If not, you can wait. According to recent data, most couples wait at least two years before getting engaged. After that, your engagement may last well over a year before the big day. This gives you plenty of time to save up so you can throw your dream wedding.

Factor in the cost of the engagement ring. This is a symbol of your marriage, so save up for exactly what you want. Choose from the best rustic engagement rings for a unique engagement ring that is as special as your partner. Look for a yellow gold band with a white diamond for a simple and classic wedding ring. Opt for a rose gold band for a more contemporary feel, or a gemstone as the center stone if they don't want a natural diamond. The perfect ring for your partner should be so unique that they never see another quite like it, just as you'll never meet another person quite like them.

Furbabies, plant babies, or human babies?

Photo Courtesy of Scholarship Media

If you haven't already confirmed with your partner that they want the same things as you, now is the time to do so. Since this is the person you're spending your life with you need to feel comfortable having honest conversations with them.

Map out a timeline of when you would want to have babies, and that includes pets. If you enjoy traveling, you'll need to factor boarding your fur babies into the budget. Even if you have plants, you'll need to make sure that someone can water them for you while you're away. Does this change if you'd prefer living in an apartment or a single-family home? Perhaps it alters the city you live in because you want to be closer to your child's grandparents. There's no right or wrong answer to any of this. Just make sure you've considered these things before you make a lifelong commitment.

What do you love about your partner?

Write down everything you love about them. Marriage is not all ups; there are plenty of downs, and sometimes you'll need reminders of why you signed your life away to one person. Write them in a book or a pdf, save it, and stow it away for future use. You might even refer to this list in a year or two while writing your vows. Marriage is hard, but it will be worth it. Remind yourself why you love them every day.