News_UWArboretumAerial

Doctor Beth Potter and her husband Robin Carre were found dead Tuesday morning at the UW Arboretum in a suspected double-homicide.

UW doctor, husband named victims of UW Arboretum double-homicide

The Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office identified a UW-Madison doctor and her husband Wednesday as the two victims of a double-homicide at the UW Arboretum earlier in the week. 

A jogger discovered Doctor Beth Potter, 52, and her Husband Robin Carre, 57, lying in a ditch Tuesday morning. Carre died on the scene, but Potter was taken to the hospital where she died shortly after.

Both died from “homicidal related trauma,” according to a statement from the medical examiner’s office.

The UW-Madison Police Department did not release any information regarding potential suspects and motives, but UWPD spokesman Marc Lovicott said the couple’s death was not random.

“We think this was a targeted act of violence against these two individuals,” Lovicott said. “It’s still unnerving that we have an individual or individuals responsible for this, but we hope people are at ease a little bit in knowing this is not something random, that these individuals were picked out after walking in that area.”

Potter served as an associate professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Community health, a physician at the Access Community Health Centers Wingra Family Medical Center and was the Medical Director of Employee Health Services for UW Health.

In a statement on Potter’s passing, William Schwab, M.D., the interim chair of Potter’s department, praised her work in the field.

“In addition to being a wonderful family physician and highly respected teacher, Beth was a dedicated clinical leader,” Schwab said. “She was wise, warm, and always supportive. There are so many patients, students and colleagues whose lives have been touched by Beth. Her loss weighs heavily on members of our department.”

According to his LinkedIn page, Carre worked as an educational consultant in helping students with their college admissions, and was a coaching director at Regent Soccer Club.

The club’s website posted their condolences to Carre’s passing on their homepage.

“We are deeply saddened to say we have lost a very special member of the Regent family. Robin Carre was a friend, mentor, coach, and face of our club for a long time.”

According to Lovicott, the homicide investigation will be UWPD’s first since 1982 and the only double-homicide investigation in the department’s history. UWPD will take the lead on the case, but will coordinate with other law agencies as well.

“We’re the lead agency on the case, but we’re working with partnering agencies to assist us,” Lovicott said. “The Madison police is also assisting us with the case.”

Potter and Carre left behind three children. A Facebook fundraiser was launched Wednesday that has already received close to $20,000 in donations.

Individuals with information pertinent to the case are encouraged to call the Madison Area Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.