Campus News

UW-Madison Sigma Chi Fraternity chapter surrenders charter

Sigma Chi voted to surrender its charter on Jan. 30 after its suspension in Oct. 2019. 

Image By: Will Chizek

The UW-Madison Sigma Chi fraternity chapter is no longer affiliated with its parent organization, Sigma Chi International, meaning the university will no longer recognize it as a registered student organization. 

The university suspended Sigma Chi in Oct. 2019 after it violated the Student Organization Code of Conduct by serving alcohol at an event while on probation. SCI also suspended the chapter. 

On Jan. 30, the UW-Madison chapter of the fraternity alerted SCI they were surrendering their charter. SCI voted to accept the decision. 

“We support SCI’s decision – it is a testament to their commitment to ensuring that students who participate in fraternity life have safe, positive experiences,” said Mark Guthier, associate vice chancellor for student affairs. “Fraternities and sororities provide many benefits to our students and to the university, and we continue to support our fraternity and sorority community.”

The chapter will no longer be recognized as an active registered student organization at the university, meaning it can no longer host events or participate in those hosted by sororities or fraternities affiliated with the university. 

However, the university is open to welcoming a new Sigma Chi chapter as a recognized student organization at UW-Madison in the future.