news_SigmaChi.jpg

The full-service location will require increased student staffing. 

Sigma Chi suspended for violating probation

The Sigma Chi Fraternity was suspended Wednesday evening from all university activities until January 21, 2020 for violating their alcohol probation. 

The Committee on Student Organizations stated the chapter violated the Student Organization Code of Conduct by holding an event where they served alcohol while on alcohol probation — which prohibited them serving alcohol at chapter events. 

The suspension will hold until January or until the chapter elects a new executive board, and will bar the chapter from holding events and activities as well as operating as a registered student organization.

This is the third time the fraternity has been suspended in the past four years. 

The suspension is meant to provide a focused opportunity for the fraternity chapter to address the issues that lead to their violation, according to the CSO. During this time, the Center for Leadership and Involvement will serve as a resource for the chapter, aiding in their rehabilitation. 

The Sigma Chi National chapter supported UW-Madison’s decision to suspend the chapter. 

‘We have temporarily suspended the chapter earlier this week while we investigate and we support the school administration’s decision to also issue a suspension,” Sigma Chi International Fraternity President Steven Schuyler said in a statement. “We look forward to working with the school and our undergraduate brothers to ensure that our chapter and members represent the high values of Sigma Chi and of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.” 

The chapter does have the opportunity to appeal their suspension.