Reuvers

Nate Reuvers scored a team-high 15 points to lead the Badgers in an upset win over Michigan State. 

Nate Reuvers looking to play central role in Wisconsin's new-look offense

There’s no doubt there is an Ethan Happ-shaped hole in Wisconsin’s rotation heading into this season.

The dominant big man averaged a double double last season with 17.3 ppg and 10.2 rpg as Happ was named to the First Team All-Big Ten Team for his third straight season, helping the Badgers return to the NCAA Tournament after the disappointing 2017-18 campaign. 

Happ’s unique abilities — his post up ability and ball skills that were more similar to a guard than a six-foot-ten center — controlled Wisconsin’s offense as it often ran through the big man. Going into this season, the main question is how Wisconsin will replace all those touches down low.

The key there might be his fellow big man: junior forward Nate Reuvers.

The Lakeville, Minnesota native averaged 7.9 points per game in 22 minutes as a starter last year, but he’ll be forced into a bigger role this year as one of the few big men in a team surrounded by shooters. 

In their 82-53 exhibition  win against UW-La Crosse, Reuvers was a force in the paint, drawing a couple of fouls early and posting four blocks and six rebounds to go along with 15 points. But Reuvers showed a flexibility and balance in his game, as he also hit two step back threes, something that would’ve been unheard of from Happ last season. 

That versatility and the balance of the rest of UW’s offensive production — all five starters finished in double figures — illustrates the stamp that Reuvers hopes to put on the team this season.

“I like our balance. It keeps the defense honest,” Reuvers said. “We could have a different leading scorer every game.”

A more balanced attack for Wisconsin will still require Reuvers’ presence in the post. After a new rule change pushed the three-point line back, Reuvers said that it’ll be more difficult for the double teams seen against Happ last season, which the big man will look to exploit.

Reuvers is the one experienced big man on UW’s squad to start the season with the ongoing ineligibility of Ohio State-transfer Micah Potter. While freshman center Joe Hedstrom played a couple of minutes during the exhibition, Reuvers understands Potter’s absence means he’ll need to make sure he stays on the court.

“The biggest thing [early on] is not getting into foul trouble,” Reuvers said.

Another possible big man in the rotation is true freshman Tyler Wahl. The six-foot-seven Wahl, who went to the same high school as Reuvers, impressed on the defensive end in the exhibition, recording five blocks in 16 minutes. Although Wahl has been described as a “slasher” by head coach Greg Gard and his teammates, Reuvers believes the freshman can do whatever he needs to, including helping out in the paint.

“He may not score the most points but as you can see he fills up the stat sheet. He knows how to play and is doing everything right,” Reuvers said. 

Heading into the opening regular season game against the No. 20 Saint Mary’s Gaels, Reuvers and the Badgers will likely be tested by the Gaels’ size. Seven-foot-three center Aaron Menzies was a WAC All-Defensive Team player in 2017-18 before sitting out a year after transferring to Saint Mary’s.

But after their long training camp and the first game against another team in the exhibition, Reuvers hopes the Badgers learned what they needed. 

“It’s great we get a chance to play these games to show us what we need to work on when we tip off against St. Mary’s,” Reuvers said.

The Badgers tip off from Sioux Falls, South Dakota Nov. 5 at 8:00 p.m.