Arts-BoJack.jpg

Season six of BoJack Horseman picks right where it left off, touching on past destruction before looking ahead. 

Bojack Horseman season six equal parts honest, hilarious

Among television shows hoping to both accurately and appropriately encapsulate mental illness, “Bojack Horseman” is one of the few successes, particularly impressive for an adult animation comedy. Season six was no exception. 

By tackling addiction, depression and forgiveness in harrowing yet relatable ways, this season gives long-time Bojack fans the closure and character development we needed, but also the close-to-home commentary and wackiness that makes the show so damn funny. 

The new intro sequence was a bit startling, but its symbolic nature and heightened artistry gave for an easy transition. Leaving off in 2018 with Bojack admitting himself to rehab, it was unsure how season six would take flight. 

We are head-first thrown into the new lives of sober Bojack, mom-on-the-go Princess Caroline and Diane’s transitions throughout her career as a writer. Even Mr. Peanut Butter and Todd are forced to face their demons head-on and, for a lack of better words, grow up. 

Episode two is shockingly beautiful, with an experimental animation design to emulate PC’s newfound reality — which another mom-meets-agent refers to as multiple apps, all running at the same time — as she comes to terms with motherhood, compromising her work life, and naturally, toggling the shenanigans of Todd and Mr. Peanut Butter’s employment ventures. 

Yet, the two characters who change the most, unsurprisingly, are Diane and Bojack. 

Diane, our anti-capitalist queen, finds a new boo and gig that leave her in a new mindset, free of Mr. Peanut Butter’s unjustified and unwavering optimism. Her relationship with Bojack is slowly but surely restored after she dropped him off at Pastiches gates in the season five finale, but each is genuinely coming to terms with their new ‘normal’ relationship. 

Sober Bojack is just as weird as expected but is much-needed and well-deserved. However, as we come to terms with this new character, we realize that not much can change. Spoilers aside, Bojack really does grow, and healthily. He has aspirations beyond getting high again, and actively makes amends with those he harmed along the way. As the final few episodes suggest, he cannot simply erase his past years of destruction and negligence, but rather needs the thing he has been begging for years: to be held accountable. 

Sappy stuff aside, PC has some killer tongue twisters, Todd continues to surprise us with his caring attitude and perseverance and Bojack serves up the same stone-cold analysis and ironic asides. In all, I highly suggest this candid show — well, if you start from the very beginning, that is. 

Final Grade: A+

Sam Jones is an opinion editor for the Daily Cardinal. To read more of her work, click here.