Campus News

UW-Madison ticks up to 13th best public university in America

UW-Madison ranks 13th best public university in the nation.

Image By: Leah Voskuil

According to the 2020 U.S. News & World Report, UW-Madison boosted its national ranking to No. 13 among the best public universities within the country. 

The rankings have remained similar throughout the years. In 2019, UW-Madison dropped to No. 15, and in the year before it was up to No. 12. Among all universities, UW-Madison landed 46th, rising from 49th in 2019, according to the yearly summary of America’s Best Colleges released Monday.

“UW-Madison has long had a reputation for excellence,” Chancellor Rebecca Blank said in a media release Monday. “This ranking is one measure of the world-class education our faculty and staff provide students.”

U.S. News & World Report compiled the list based on graduation rates, average class size and alumni gifts to measure institutions.

UW-Madison’s undergraduate business and engineering majors both ranked 15th. The Wisconsin School of Business’ insurance/risk management program ranked No. 1 and the major in real estate rated No. 2.

Wisconsin’s flagship university also follows tightly with a ranking of 11th in public schools for veterans and 14th for value.

According to the report, the other U.S. public universities in the top 10 are UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, Michigan, Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Cal-Santa Barbara, Florida, Cal-Irvine and Cal-San Diego.