news_hundredhands.jpg

A racist sticker was found on a light post near Witte Residence Hall Tuesday. 

Racist sticker exposes campus presence of national extremist group

A sticker labeled with white-nationalist messaging created by extremist group Hundred-Handers was found on campus today. 

The sticker read “Make America White Again," and included the group’s Twitter handle, official website and email address, listed from a secure email service. 

Hundred-Handers is an anonymous rebel group which promotes white supremacy within the United States. The group recruits members over multiple social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook and Soundcloud, often posting far-right memes, slogans and podcasts. 

Madison community member and UW-Madison alumni Tommy Valtin-Erwin said messaging like this makes campus an unwelcome place for all students. 

“Since the vast majority of students are white, [this sticker] reinforces what some people already feel: that this is not a place where black and brown students can feel like they belong,” Valtin-Erwin said. 

He said this type of messaging can and has been known to lead to actual physical violence. 

“It’s easy to look at something and think that’s just a sticker on a light post, but it’s actually part of the broader machine of anti-black and brown violence,” he said.