news_uwhealth.jpg

Sexual assault allegations by a UW Health patient lead to former UW Health doctor Michael Thom being charged with a felony and misdemeanor. 

Former UW doctor charged in sexual assault case

Former UW Health doctor Michael Thom was charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of sexual assault last week after a female patient claimed he made inappropriate sexual advances toward her in 2016. 

Thom was charged with second-degree sexual assault by a health-care employee and fourth-degree sexual assault after he put his mouth on a female patient’s breast, forced her hand onto his crotch and then kissed her lips during a breast examination in December 2016. 

According to the criminal complaint filed by the long-term patient, Thom also said “Oh I can make such sweet love to you” while touching her back during the exam. 

The patient shared inappropriate photos with police, several including images of Thom’s penis, that Thom sent her via text message before the exam. 

In February 2017, Thom resigned and surrendered his medical license amid an investigation into the allegations. 

In the complaint, the patient said she had no consensual sexual relationship with Thom and she did not consent to any of his actions. 

He is scheduled to appear in court next week.