cross_uwsystem

Following the resignation of the current UW-Whitewater chancellor, UW System announces experienced higher education leader to head the university. 

Higher education leader fills shoes of UW-Whitewater chancellor following resignation

The UW System named Cheryl Green — an experienced leader in higher education and student affairs — UW-Whitewater’s interim chancellor following Chancellor Beverly Kopper’s resignation Monday. 

UW System President Ray Cross announced Green’s appointment Friday, which will begin Jan. 1, the day after Kopper’s resignation takes effect. 

Following deliberation with the Board of Regents and UW-Whitewater community members, Cross saw Green as “someone who provide effective leadership” for the campus as they begin the search for a new chancellor. 

Currently, Green serves as the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at UW-Oshkosh. Prior to that, she was the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at Tennessee State University. 

Aside from leading the university, Green will also oversee academic and student initiatives that continue to boost record retention and graduation rates. 

“Dr. Green is well-prepared to keep this institution moving forward with efforts to expand undergraduate research and entrepreneurship, while preserving educational access for Wisconsin citizens,” said Regent President John Behling.

As Green assumes Kopper’s former role at the start of the new year, the outgoing chancellor will likely spend January through August on paid administrative leave. In September, Kopper plans to return to the university to begin a nine-month teaching contract in the psychology department.  

The search for a new UW-Whitewater chancellor will begin in early 2019. Cross plans to negotiate with university faculty, staff and students — as well as the community — to organize the most beneficial search committee. 

However, Cross views Green as an essential leader through the university’s transitional period. 

“We are fortunate to have someone with Dr. Green’s considerable experience and leadership skill, who can provide an important sense of stability during this transition period,” Cross said.