Lauv's magnetic stage presence combined with his obvious love for performing electrified the theater and gave the audience a diverse show filled with fast-paced moments and slow ballads.

​Lauv brings down-to-earth atmosphere to The Sylvee

The Sylvee was washed with blue light and smoke as it came alive with the dynamic rhythms of Lauv last Friday night. His magnetic stage presence combined with his obvious love for performing electrified the theater and gave the audience a show filled with fast-paced moments, slow ballads and occasional times of laughter.

The show opened with Charlotte Lawrence, an up-and-comer on the music scene. She warmed up the crowd with a few of her hits, including “Stole Your Car,” “Seventeen” and “Just the Same.”

When Lauv finally took the stage, the theater was suddenly bathed in blue, the singer's signature color. He teased the audience with the first verse and chorus of his hit single, “I Like Me Better,” before transitioning into “Paris in the Rain” and then making a speech to the crowd about how some of his “lit-est shows ever” have been in Wisconsin.

He wowed the crowd with his fast-paced hits such as “Adrenaline,” “Paranoia” and “Chasing Fire.” His impressive vocals were also complemented by his energetic, almost boyish presence onstage — Lauv never stopped moving, even during the slower songs. And during the slower ballads, he often took a minute to ground himself before singing or playing his guitar or piano, giving him and his music a very real, human feel.

His slower, less upbeat songs, such as “Superhero” and “Breathe” gave the audience a bit of a window into the singer’s mind. He sang with such raw emotion about life and love and provided a small glimpse into what he had experienced in his life.

However, the music wasn’t the best thing about the concert. Lauv was also able to create a genuine, down-to-earth atmosphere through the emotion he put into his music and by letting his quirky personality shine through between songs. He frequently brought up how he couldn’t dance and was super awkward, asking the audience if they would just “flail around with him.” Someone held up a plate of cheese curds halfway through the show and he started eating them while he was singing, screaming “Damn, those are some good cheese curds!” before moving into the next song. Moments like these — and there were plenty — gave the entire concert a sincere and genuine mood: It made the audience feel that Lauv was truly happy to be there performing.

When Lauv sang his closing song, “I Like Me Better,” the crowd truly felt as if he was singing the words — “I like me better when I’m with you” — to each and every one of the onlookers. When the concert was over and Lauv exited the stage, the audience left with genuine smiles and grateful hearts.