Three students show off their homemade hippie costumes.

10 quick and simple Halloween costumes already in your closet

Swamped by midterms and essays? Did the beginning of Halloweekend hit you out of nowhere only to realize you don’t have a single costume? Never fear! Here are some quick and fun ideas from things that are likely already right in your closet.

Witch

A black dress and tights is all it takes! Throw on a black fuzzy sweater if it’s cold, and a hat is super easy to find at a costume store or Ragstock pretty last minute.

Cat/Any Other Animal

Really, all it takes is a black or animal print top and some ears, and you’re set to go. Find a black skirt or jeans to top it off.

Waldo

Could it be any simpler? The only things you’ll need are a red and white striped shirt, jeans, and a red hat. Something tells me that most of us own these things being the UW-Madison students that we are.

Three Hole Punch

For all you fans of The Office out there — find your inner three-hole-punch Jim within minutes by simply putting on a dress shirt and taping three black dots down it. As a bonus, black cat Pam is also very easy and requires nothing but a black shirt, cat ears and eyeliner for the whiskers.

M&M’s

Even if you don’t have a real M&M suit, you can still make this one work; it’s one of the fastest group costumes you can do if you’re in need of one! Simply take any oversized (or normal-sized) solid colored shirt, cut out a white M from paper and tape it on. It may not be the classiest thing on Earth, but it’s perfect if you’re in a pinch!

Angel/Devil

This is also no problem after a quick Ragstock run or closet raid. Grab a white or red shirt, pick up a halo or horns and you’re golden! Add a boa if you’re feeling especially festive.

Risky Business

Possibly the easiest of them all —s lip on an oversized button up shirt and possibly some sunglasses, and you’re all set.

Hippie

You can throw on a large patterned shirt, some round sunglasses, a headband and fringe boots if you have them. A vest doesn’t hurt either!

Referee

Pretty much the only requirement is a black and white shirt, add a whistle and you’re set! It’s also easy to add leggings if the weather isn’t particularly warm (I’m looking at you, Wisconsin).

Playing Cards

Another great option for a truly last-minute costume. Wear plain white on top, cut out numbers and faces, and tape it on—or you can just use Sharpie if it’s a shirt you don’t care too much about. Add black bottoms and/or fishnets on the bottom.

Whether the costume store just wasn’t cutting it this year or you let time get the best of you, hopefully these ideas straight from your closet will take some of the stress off and you can enjoy your Halloweekend!