Chancellor Rebecca Blank welcomes new students to UW-Madison at Chancellor’s Convocation for New Students. 

Chancellor Rebecca Blank welcomes incoming students to UW-Madison

Thousands of first-year students from the largest class in UW-Madison history were welcomed to campus at the Chancellor’s Convocation for New Students.

Many of the over 6,800 students from the class of 2022 packed into the Kohl Center on Tuesday to hear Chancellor Rebecca Blank and other university officials speak about the upcoming year.

Blank started the ceremony by congratulating the students on their acceptance into UW-Madison saying, “You are all here because you are highly qualified academically, and because we believe that your talents and interests make you an excellent fit for this great university.”

After her congratulatory remarks, she proceeded to give the incoming students three pieces of advice: Take your academic work seriously, get involved with activities outside the classroom, and ask for help.

She took a photo of the new students and encouraged them to share their first-year experiences with the university through social media.

Blank also touched on the values of the university.

“We value diversity and welcome everyone who wants to learn, to work hard, and to be part of this wonderful community,” Blank said.

Other speakers at the event included Patrick Sims, vice provost for diversity and climate, Lori Reesor, vice chancellor of student affairs, and Yogev Ben-Yitschak, a junior at UW-Madison.

Bucky the Badger also made an appearance to welcome students.

At the end of the ceremony, students linked arms and sang “Varsity,” a traditional anthem of the university. As students left, they were given a complimentary copy of "The Death and Life of the Great Lakes," the Go Big Read book for 2018’19.