Inside UW highlights prominent women including Grace Wahba in a new article series.

Articles recognize 150 years of UW-Madison women

In 1896, the first women earned undergraduate degrees from UW-Madison. Now, 150 years later, Inside UW is celebrating the anniversary with a series that promotes the accomplishments of women associated with the university.

The first woman to be featured in the article series was Grace Wahba, the first female faculty member in the Department of Statistics. After 51 years at UW-Madison, Wahba retired in August.

In the article, Wahba shared what she appreciated most about her time at the university, which included breaking boundaries in STEM on campus, teaching a variety of students and meeting her husband.

She also encouraged women to pursue what they love, even if it may at times seem unattainable.

“If you want to do well, pick something you love and put your nose to the grindstone. It takes a lot of hard work, time and a certain amount of luck,” Wahba said.

Over the course of the academic year, Inside UW will feature a variety of notable UW-Madison women from past decades. The articles will focus on the life and work of these women, and will also give a look into the way ideas of gender have expanded and evolved over time.