The assaulter grabbed the victim's buttocks and fled the scene, according to police, who are still investigating the incident  

Shooting leaves one injured in State Street apartment

After a shooting left one injured in an apartment above a State Street bar, police have a person of interest in custody as they investigate the attempted homicide.

The suspect, a Madison man in his 20s, fled the area before police arrived, but police used surveillance camera footage to track the person of interest down.

The victim was shot at about 8 p.m. Wednesday, suffering wounds to the head and arm. He was taken to a hospital for emergency medical treatment before promptly leaving on his own.

It is unknown whether the victim received medical clearance to check out of the hospital. He has not spoken to the police about details of the shooting.

"As of right now we do not have any safety concerns for the immediate area. Of course we are still looking for the suspect, but we have no reason to believe he is in the immediate area," said Madison Police Department Captain Jason Freedman.