A bill named after a late UW-Madison professor intended to streamline research was not considered by the state Senate, even with massive bipartisan support.

‘Mark Cook Bill’ doesn’t land a spot on the state Senate calendar

Despite bipartisan support and unanimous passage in the Assembly, a bill that would make it easier for university research projects to be funded and commercialized was not taken up by the state Senate, effectively killing the proposal.

The legislation, dubbed the “Mark Cook Bill” in honor of the late UW-Madison professor who felt strongly about the bill’s proposed changes, would have granted the university the ability to contract with nonprofits and businesses, and exempted public employees from a 45-day review period when entering into contracts in which they have financial interest.

The bill’s failure to pass the state Senate came as a shock to most, as it received sweeping bipartisan support throughout its short lifespan, passed through both chambers’ committees unanimously and was even approved in the Assembly by a voice vote.

According to Jack O’Meara, a spokesperson for the UW-Madison faculty organization PROFS, the current law regarding research at the university is an impediment, and is not conducive to achieving the high standard of research that the university is known for.

In a crowded session schedule, the state Senate prioritized other bills that may have been in danger of not passing, allowing other proposals, like the Mark Cook Bill, to slip through the cracks.

O’Meara expressed PROFS’ disappointment in the bill’s failure to pass, saying “there may have been a couple of senators who were concerned with the bill.” PROFS had agreed upon more reporting on research specifics to the Legislature in order for the bill to be passed.

PROFS intends to reintroduce the bill next session, while also planning to address the concerns of some legislators.