Roque Minn Duluth

Abby Roque looks to lead the Badgers to another WCHA Tournament victory.

UW faces Bemidji State in WCHA semifinal

The No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers (29-3-2) take on the Bemidji State Beavers (16-18-3) Saturday afternoon in the WCHA Tournament semifinals. Bemidji State earned its birth in the semifinal game by beating Minnesota Duluth 3-0 last Sunday in the quarterfinals. The Badgers are the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament, earning a bye in tournament play last weekend. This is the third meeting of the season between these two teams; Wisconsin dominated the regular season series, winning three of the four games and outscoring Bemidji State 17-8.

Wisconsin comes into this game flying high after sweeping its final season series against Minnesota a couple weeks ago. It also has an incredible 12-game winning streak in the WCHA tournament, and the Badgers have won the tournament for the last three years. UW has outscored its opponents 52-5 over those 12 games, and it will look to continue that balanced attack against a Bemidji State team that thrives in sloppy games.

The Badgers will no doubt rely on their leaders to set the pace Saturday, and then potentially against their next opponent in the finals Sunday. Sophomore Abby Roque took home the WCHA Offensive Player of the Year award last weekend, and redshirt sophomore Kristen Campbell was announced as the WCHA Goaltender of the Year. In addition to those two prestigious awards, the Badgers boast six players among the first, second and third all-conference teams. Wisconsin will look to those players to perform at the highest level this weekend, as a fourth consecutive WCHA tournament title and a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament is within view.

If Wisconsin wins Saturday, they will play the winner of the Ohio State/Minnesota semifinal Sunday in the WCHA Tournament championship game. Puck drop is set for 2 p.m. Saturday and can be listened to on 100.9 FM. The championship game Sunday begins at 2 p.m as well.