As Gov. Scott Walker proposed a series of reforms to school safety funding and procedures, some disability rights groups fear the needs of the students they represent have been ignored.

Disability rights groups fear lawmakers overlook unique needs of students

As Gov. Scott Walker lobbies groups to back his recently released school safety legislation package, some advocacy groups are concerned with how certain reforms may impact students with disabilities in schools.

Soon after calling a special session to address the issue, Walker proposed a series of reforms, largely involving boosted funding for training teachers, updating security technologies and hiring school resource officers.

Many legislators quickly moved to endorse Walker’s proposal.

“I am fully supportive of what the Governor announced and our proposal will closely align with the Governor’s objectives,” said Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, in a statement. “I look forward to ironing out details with the administration to deliver resources to schools to secure their facilities and bring peace of mind to parents.”

But some disability rights groups fear the proposed changes do not address the needs of all students.

“Students with disabilities are more likely to be bullied, they are more likely to have unmet mental health needs. They are increasingly taught by the least experienced teachers. Yet there hasn’t been an increase in special education funding for almost ten years,” said Lisa Pugh, co-chair of the Survival Coalition, in an analysis of the legislation.

Earlier this year, the group launched a survey of over 500 families with children with disabilities to measure how they assessed the quality and resources of special education programs in Wisconsin. Many respondents reported declining state support over time, marking increased levels of behavioral challenges and social isolation for their children.

“Special education has remained flat for a decade, putting greater pressure on teachers and schools to meet the needs of students with disabilities. An increase in funding will help our teachers to be better prepared to work with students with the greatest needs,” said Sally Flaschberger, an advocate for Disability Rights Wisconsin.

Not only do current proposals miss the mark, some critics argue, but certain provisions proposed by Walker may actively reinforce challenges faced by students with disabilities.

Research has shown that when police presence increases in schools, students with disabilities are considerably more likely to be referred to the police, suspended or expelled.

“The legislature should consider engaging stakeholders including parents before rushing into solutions that don’t provide greater support to students in our schools across Wisconsin,” said Beth Swedeen, the Survival Coalition’s other co-chair.