UHS prepares for May expansion to accommodate more space for mental health services

SSFC members took a tour of UHS Thursday.

Students who go to University Health Services to visit mental health providers and participate in group therapy sessions can look forward to an increase in rooms.

Space on the seventh and eighth floors will be reconfigured in order to provide more mental health provider offices and group therapy rooms. The construction will begin May 2018 and end in middle to late August 2018. Nuvo Construction is the general contractor on the project.

Additionally, the expansion will allow UHS to update space being used for medical records, since the organization no longer has paper medical records, said Marlena Holden, interim director for Marketing and Prevention Services at UHS.

“When the building was planned for a decade ago, electronic medical records were just starting at UHS, and there is space we can reconfigure to minimize what was developed to house paper records on the eighth floor,” Holden said.

UHS will also be hiring more staff as part of the multi-year plan that stretches back to the 2016-’17 fiscal year budget to expand mental health capacity, Holden said. UHS posted about their open positions Thursday.

Student Services Finance Committee members took a tour of UHS facilities Thursday night and will vote on their budget Monday.