Co-anchor of ABC’s “20/20” David Muir will be the keynote speaker at UW-Madison’s spring commencement ceremony in May.

ABC news anchor to speak at spring graduation

In the middle of a bustling Times Square via a news ticker, Emmy-winning journalist and co-anchor of ABC’s “20/20” David Muir announced he will be the keynote speaker at UW-Madison’s spring commencement ceremony, a video released by UW-Madison revealed Wednesday.

Muir — a graduate of Ithaca College — has reported numerous award-winning primetime specials for ABC News and has won multiple Emmys, Edward R. Murrow awards and Society of Professional Journalists honors.

Known as a tough and principled reporter, Muir succeeded Diane Sawyer in 2014 as anchor and managing editor of “ABC World News Tonight.” During the 2016-’17 TV season, the program was the most-watched evening newscast.

Senior class officers are responsible for choosing and recommending commencement speakers.

“We are so excited that David Muir will be delivering the keynote address to our graduating class,” Ariela Rivkin, senior class president, said in a statement. “The Wisconsin Idea has taught us to make an impact beyond the walls of our classrooms. Because he and his work embody the Wisconsin Idea, he has a profound message to share with every Badger.”

Commencement speakers are selected and recommended by senior class officers, according to the release. The university covers the speaker’s travel expenses but does not pay a fee or other honorarium.

UW-Madison’s 2018 spring commencement will be held May 12 at noon in Camp Randall.