Cayla McMorris and the rest of her senior class look to take advantage of their final shot at a postseason run Wednesday against Northwestern.

Wisconsin drops to 1-8 in conference play after loss at Indiana

For a large portion of Wisconsin’s (1-8 Big Ten, 8-14 overall) 69-55 loss to Indiana Wednesday night, UW was able to keep the game within single digits of Indiana (3-6, 10-12). But down the stretch, especially in the fourth quarter, it was incapable of converting its efforts into a successful outcome and fell short, yet again.

A short rally sparked by an assist from junior forward Marsha Howard, and a layup in the following sequence with 3:44 remaining gave the Badgers a push towards closing in on the Hoosiers and cut the game to 59-53, but consequently for UW, IU soon after went on its own run to end the game in its favor. Howard and senior guard Cayla McMorris were the leaders of Wisconsin’s offense, scoring 17 and 20 points respectively.

As for Indiana, both Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill led the way for the Hoosiers scoring 27 and 22 points respectively.

McMorris and Howard were the only two players to score in double figures for UW as seemingly constant contributors Suzanne Gilreath and Courtney Fredrickson struggled. Gilreath only managed to chip in four points, whereas Fredrickson, who appeared on tonight’s starting lineup, went 0-of-4 from the field and didn’t score a point. Indiana also only had two double-digit scorers, but Buss and Cahill outperformed UW’s leading duo.

Throughout the game the Hoosiers had the hot hand, seen as they ended the night with 49 percent from the field. And while Wisconsin did shoot 42 percent, it shot only 23 percent from three.

Points off turnovers were a major deciding factor in the contest, as Indiana doubled UW 20 to 10 in that category. If not for Howard and McMorris carrying the load offensively, UW would have been in even more trouble.

Moving forward, the Badgers hit the road again as they face Illinois on Sunday, giving them some time to take into account the areas which they will need to continue to improve on, in the hopes of gaining another conference win.