Before you sign that lease, check this map of landlord complaints

City officials identified more than 1,500 housing and property maintenance issues in downtown Madison housing last year — did your apartment make the list?

Search for an address at the top of the map, and hover over the highlighted dot to see the details of the complaint. Click on a category to the right of the map to highlight all similar complaints.

The map displays all complaints in zip codes 53703, 53715 and 53726 from Aug. 15, 2016, to Aug. 15, 2017.

It is notable that city inspectors hold the owner of the property accountable. The property manager is just “an employee of whomever the owner of the building happens to be,” according to city Housing Inspection and Property Maintenance supervisor Kyle Bunnow.

It is also worth noting, Bunnow said, that the scope and severity of cases, as well as frequency, play a “big role” in determining if a landlord is a problem. And while property maintenance complaints are more common than housing complaints, city officials consider them less severe.