Try ice for nice skin

Skincare, for many, is a real chore and a struggle to keep up with every day. Well, what if I told you there is one more step you can add that will make an already long routine even more complicated?

What is this step, you ask? Isn’t it obvious? Rub an ice cube on your face, of course! This may seem odd and sound more like a technique for torture than skincare, but it really works. After cleansing your skin, grab an ice cube fresh from the freezer. Use a towel or some type of barrier between the cube and your fingers so that the cold properties are focused on your face. Wait about a minute after taking the cube out of the freezer before putting it on your face—this way it’s not as icy cold.

When you’re ready, put the ice cube to your skin and gently rub in circular motions. Focus mostly on the areas where you have the largest pores or areas of acne. If it ever feels too cold, you can put a barrier between the ice and your skin, like a washcloth or paper towel, and softly press instead of rubbing. Your skin will still get a cooling effect, but the pressure will be less intense. If you ever feel pain from putting the ice on your skin, then be sure to stop putting ice on your skin immediately—it’s a weird thing to do anyway, so you won’t be missing out on much.

You can rub the ice into your skin until the cube is completely gone or until you’re bored and you don’t feel like doing it anymore. Your skin will most likely be pretty red (like you're embarrassed that your roommate has just seen you rubbing an ice cube on your face while staring at yourself in the mirror), so be aware and plan the timing accordingly.

After wiping off the excess water from your face, continue your skincare routine as normal. Your skin will quickly go back to its regular color and you may even see results right away. The effect of this skincare technique is fresher and healthier looking skin. It shrinks your pores and helps fight off acne. If you decide to use this technique consistently you will probably notice your skin texture improve and become a lot smoother.

Rubbing ice into your skin is probably not for everyone. Personally, it feels refreshing and doesn’t irritate my skin in any way, but for others it may be a painful or bothersome experience. Just listen to what your skin is telling you, and you may find wonderful results!