From the Cardinal Archives: Badgers Wallop Beloit Eleven in Opening Scrap

The column below was first published by the Daily Cardinal on Monday Oct. 8, 1917. Wisconsin's game against Beloit was the first football game that the Badgers played at Camp Randall Stadium. In celebrating 100 years of football at Camp Randall Stadium, the Daily Cardinal is re-publishing its game story from the Monday after the game. No author was credited to the story in 1917.

The trouncing Wisconsin gave Beloit Saturday has brought new conference aspirations to the Badgers’ camp, and has displayed possibilities and strength in the Badger scoring machine that only the ineligibilities clause may discourage.

Playing a disrupted line-up that was shifted at the eleventh hour through the ineligibility and injury of several of the regulars, the Badger defense never allowed the down-state team to make first down, and the aggressive machine-like variety succeeded in piling up 34 points in a forty minute encounter with the Beloit aggregation.

Lack of Subs Keenly Felt

Gloom and joy now mingle in one at the Badger camp, for with latent possibilities for the development of a team that need go unashamed to the conference circles, a lack of strong second-string men to fill gaps that are made through injuries and scholastic keenly felt and was more than ever apparent at the opening game in the new stadium on Saturday. While there are several second team backfield men who make good substitutes and although the first team is becoming more and more impregnable there is no reserve in the small war-time squad for recruit substitutes from, which leaves conference hopes all to depend on the slender hope that the regulars will all be kept eligible and out of the hospital during the conference season. Nearly 2,000 people witnessed the counter attacks at the opening game, which was a dedication of the new stadium. The freshman true to tradition, marched to the field in a body and occupied a reserved section of the new concrete grand-stand.

Captain Hancock as usual played his steady and consistent stellar game, and though not marked by Spectacular and erratic plays his work shines out as a bright spot in the Badger defense and will be the main strength of the Badger defense in the conference games to come. Time after time he picked holes for the varsity backs to follow.

Sophs Show Up Well

A noticeable feature of Saturday’s game was the showing made by the sophomore men who were recruited this fall from last year’s freshman squad. Davy started the game at quarterback and on the basis of his showing yesterday it would not be surprising if he were used there in several contests this fall. Simpson opened at right half where he called signals and later relieved Davy at quarterback. In both positions he played his usual steady game and his kicking was far superior to that of Lansing and Phillip of Beloit. Scott played his first varsity game at left tackle and was a valuable asset to the Badger defense, which has gained by his addition to the line, Weston at left end played the entire game, and though not called on often to carry the ball, he helped materially upset the Beloit defense and will be a valuable man of the Badger line. Jacobi should prove one of the best fullbacks the varsity has had in years. The rangy sophomore was always good for from four to ten yards thru the center and twice punctured the goal line for touchdowns.

Kelly in New Position

Gould and Stark both showed well while they were in the backfield and both shared in the Badger scoring. Kelley got away for a number of sizable gains. He did not seem to stick to his interference as well as Spafford did, however. The position is new to him after playing end and he may yet develop drive and a better ability to follow the interference.

If the eligibility and injury jinxes will “lay off” the Badger squad until about Nov. 30. permission ought not to be found in the over-abundant quantities around Camp Randall this season.