Lake Mendota

A person was struck and killed by a boat while windsurfing on Lake Mendota Wednesday evening.

Windsurfer killed by boat on Lake Mendota

The boat that fatally struck a windsurfer on Lake Mendota Wednesday evening was a rescue launch from the UW Lifesaving Station returning from a rescue call.

UW Lifesaving notified the 911 Center of the incident at approximately 5:45 p.m.. The person was taken to the UW Lifesaving Station at 114 E. Gilman Street, and an ambulance was also sent to the scene. The windsurfing craft had been checked out from the Hoofer Sailing Club at Memorial Union.

The victim has been identified as 43 year-old Yu Chen. Yu had been a windsurfer since 2009 and a volunteer instructor with the Hoofers since 2012.

In a statement, Mills Botham, commodore of the Hoofers Sailing Club, expressed sympathy for Yu’s friends and family.

“He loved his sport and all of us at Hoofers are feeling his loss deeply,” Botham said. “We are working to support his friends and family during this difficult time.”

UPDATED June, 1 2017 1:35 p.m:. This story was updated to add additional information about the incident.

UPDATED June, 2 2017 8:23 p.m:. This story was updated to add additional information about the victim.