The SERF will officially close Aug. 18. with demolition expected to begin Oct. 1.

SERF closing in mid-August, to be demolished in October

The inevitable closure of the Southeast Recreational Facility—commonly known as the SERF—is quickly approaching. The UW-Madison Division of Recreational Sports announced Friday that the popular facility will officially close Aug. 18.

In a statement to rec sports members, the Division of Recreational Sports said they finalized the timeline for the demolition and subsequent construction of the facility. Demolition is expected to begin Oct. 1, according to the statement.

“While it may look like nothing is happening on the site for a few weeks, don't let that fool you,” the statement says. “We’ll be clearing the SERF of all equipment and utilities equipment and preparing the building for demolition.”

The closure of the SERF has raised questions about where students will be able to exercise for the next two years. To address this concern, Rec officials plan to close the SERF Fitness Training Room and relocate the equipment to the Natatorium July 5.

Along with the transferring of SERF equipment to the Natatorium, Ogg Hall will open its own Fitness Center in its basement in late August. The Frank Holt Center will be open for group fitness where students will be able to attend group fitness sessions free of charge during the first two weeks of the semester

The new facility is expected to be four times the size of the current SERF.