Bashar al-Assad's actions, supported by the Russian government, has reemphasized the need to support Syrian refugees.

UW should offer financial aid to refugees

April 3, 2017 marked the day of the biggest chemical weapon attack against civilians in Syria since the Ghouta Massacre in 2013.

Contrary to popular knowledge, this is not the only attack to occur since President Bashar al-Assad seemingly got rid of his chemical weapon stockpile. There have actually been more than 160 chemical weapon attacks since the beginning of the war, with about 80 percent taking place after the 2013 agreement.

The attacks were conducted by the Syrian and Russian air forces, likely using sarin gas, a chemical weapon that is disproportionately lethal to children. To make matters worse, the Assad regime, aided by Russian forces, bombed hospitals and medical centers before and after the chemical attack, making it difficult if not impossible for victims to receive treatment. So far, BBC reported that 50 percent of the victims were children.

Each new day in Syria brings new calamities to add to the rising death toll in the world’s greatest humanitarian crisis. Each new day across the world marks an addition to the murderous silence that allows these attacks to persist. As the leader of the Books Not Bombs campaign at UW-Madison, I cannot allow this day to go unnoticed. I cannot neglect my responsibility to speak up for the Syrian people. And in the face of such undeniable tragedy, I cannot mourn alone.

At times like these, it is easy to feel helpless, as this growing injustice continues to plague our world. I wish to reach out to my fellow students to let you all know that you are not helpless and you can make a difference for the people who so desperately need it. I stand now, more firmly than ever, demanding that UW-Madison join the Syria Consortium and pledge to provide scholarships to Syrian youth who are able to escape their war torn borders. It is our job as students to demand our institution to place itself on the right side of history.

Education is one the most fundamental ways to make a difference in a person’s life. It opens doors of opportunity and self-improvement. Throughout the Syrian conflict we have witnessed schools, hospitals and civilian homes turn to rubble, vanquishing any opportunity for victims to create a livelihood for themselves. By providing scholarships to Syrian refugees, UW-Madison would act not only as a hub of opportunity, but as a safeguard of culture. Syrian civilians in territories outside the Assad regime’s control are being systematically exterminated. I believe the proper term for such action is genocide. To be a silent bystander is to empower such heinous practices.

Together we must work to hold our institutions accountable. We must hold our government accountable. We must speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Today I choose to act. Today I choose to break the murderous silence of our world. When will you do the same?

Nour is a junior majoring in political science. What do you think the university community could do to help those affected by Bashar al-Assad’s actions? What was your response to the Syrian’s government’s recent actions? Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.