Tips for exam relaxation

Spring break has come and gone, and finals are just around the corner. You might be thinking, we just had midterms, how can this be? And if you are, you’re not alone. It seems like we are constantly preparing for some midterm or paper that is worth our entire grade and might just determine our future, or so it feels. The world is not going to end if we get a grade we don’t want, but to help with the stress, here are some easy ways to relax during this upcoming finals season.

Not all of these tactics work for everyone, but they have sure helped me when it comes to alleviating stress, especially with finals starting in just a few weeks. Even though you do not need the extra luck because of these helpful tips, you could even pay an extra visit to Abe. Keep your heads up, Badgers.

Take a stroll

There are so many times I catch myself at the library at 10 p.m., wondering how six hours of my life have flown by. Meanwhile, I have been glued to one chair and probably took a total of 400 steps that day, which consisted of walking to the bathroom and filling up my water bottle. Taking a ten-minute break to go on a walk, or possibly walking to a different study location can get your body moving as well as make blood flow. Enjoy the nice weather and walk by Memorial Union and the Terrace so you can get a super artsy Instagram along with a well-deserved break.

Do productive activities

Personally, when I am in a jam with tests and papers that somehow all have the exact same deadline, I find it soothing to do other productive things as a break from doing homework. Wash the dishes, clean your room or reorganize your planner and books. These simple tasks that take only minutes, if your room is not a complete disaster, can make you take a break from organic chemistry and political science homework, but still give you the satisfaction of getting necessary things done.

Make a list of achievable goals

We are often thrown dozens of due dates and deadlines at the beginning of the semester that haunt us for the entire fifteen weeks we spend in the class. Instead of having a long grocery list of all of the forty things we need to get done eventually, make smaller and simpler lists of things that are due sooner. Compartmentalizing a list of two to three things that need to be done in the next twenty-four hours rather than all things that need to be done by finals week will help alleviate extra stress and give you a better understanding and spacing of what needs to be done when.