Associated Students of Madison Chair Carmen Goséy said grassroots structure are what allow student to mobilize on issues they care about. 

ASM re-emphasizes grassroots focus for Shared Governance position

Campaigns for free menstrual products, lobbying for UW System funding, planning "It’s On Us" events—all these efforts are rooted in grassroots work. Over the years the Associated Students of Madison has operated on ground level, attempting to organize students in a bottom-up process to invoke change on campus.

“That language needs to be explicitly written in the position descriptions and we need to be doing that work because that’s what enacts real change on this campus and allows students to mobilize on issues that they care about,” ASM Chair Carmen Goséy said.

When the 24th session of ASM begins next fall, the Shared Governance Campaign director could have a grassroots expectation written into their position description. At a Coordinating Council meeting last week, Goséy proposed this change in hopes of promoting student campaigns on campus.

“I believe that what makes ASM really strong is the fact that we work on direct action campaigns and so part of that is working on grassroots work,” Goséy said.

Goséy said because the position operated as a pilot, the job responsibilities weren’t as clear as the committee chairs, who have grassroots mentioned explicitly in their position descriptions.

“We were just adding that to the Shared Governance Campaign Director’s position in order to be in uniform with [committee chairs] and also have those broad university issues be worked on in the Shared Governance space,” Goséy said.

The position, which is new this year, is currently being held by Mara Matovich. Matovich said she thinks the change will be helpful for the next Shared Governance Campaign director.

“I think having [grassroots terminology] in there solidifies it more so you have a better idea what you’re supposed to be doing,” Matovich said.

Although Matovich said the group is unknown to many students and can be exclusive with its limited number of appointed members and lack of accessibility, she thinks her position should help provide these connections for students interested in organizing on campus.

“The position can essentially serve as more of a liaison for students navigating the Shared Governance world of the different committees and if they need access to one in order to mobilize a campaign or make [people more aware of] an issue,” Matovich said.

Goséy said she hopes students will work on a range of grassroots campaigns that fit into the Shared Governance structure, such as Wiscard ID Voter Eligibility, free menstrual products and textbook affordability.

The position description change will be voted on at the next meeting, according to Goséy