Difference in viewpoint should be included in discussions of diversity

Most people immediately think of race or ethnicity when they think of diversity, but I think there is another form of diversity that often goes unnoticed: diversity in viewpoint. I wrote a college essay once on this and am pretty sure that’s one of the reasons why I got an interview for the program I was applying for.

When I think of diversity, I think of diversity in an individual’s viewpoint and perspective. Every single individual has diversity within them. No two people are the exact same and I believe this diversity in viewpoint is what makes every human unique.

Recently, I was taught that race is a social construct and people who share the same race can actually be more different than people of different races after viewing the documentary “Race is an Illusion” and having a subsequent discussion in my health care and disparities seminar. This supports my claim that diversity comes from many different viewpoints, because the reason people of the same race can be more “diverse” from each other than people of different races is because of their varying perspectives.

That being said, I want to talk about how this type of diversity in viewpoint can arise. Being in college, away from home and your parents, is the best time to foster different viewpoints because you are responsible for your own actions and can finally break away from the shadow of your parents’ beliefs. Your background and how you grew up may still influence your beliefs and views, but your experience in college allows you to develop a standpoint on your own and become more confident in yourself and your identity.

I am still in the process of forming my own views and perspectives, because up until I got into college, I was influenced by my parents’ views. Before college, I only liked being around like-minded people and tended to become really good friends with people who were similar to me, usually other Indians. But since I’ve gotten into college, I’ve expanded my formerly narrow-minded views and embraced the idea of diversity in viewpoints. Now, some of my closest friends have vastly different experiences and views in regard to many issues. I have learned to appreciate this diversity because I learn from their experiences and views and hope they do the same.

I want to continue talking to a wide range of people so that I can learn more from differing perspectives and maybe see something in a way I never thought of before.

Society should foster and recognize the importance of diversity in viewpoints because our views and perspectives make up a huge part of who we are as people and influences our growth as a society. For example, if people did not question the idea that everything revolved around the Earth, we would never have discovered that theory was wrong and the sun is actually at the center. In our society, we constantly correct our views and learn from each other because there is a difference in viewpoints and in how we think.

If everyone thought the same way, then we would never discover as much as we do on a daily basis and there would never be any innovations. Apple iPhones and Samsung Galaxy smart phones might never have been created if everyone thought the same way and didn’t think phone design could be improved. So, I think that diversity in viewpoints is the basis for innovation and discovery in our society and has been since the dawn of humanity.

I know some people might be afraid of change or trying out something new. But, I still encourage every individual to at least try to see the diversity around them by talking to as many different people as they can, because trying to embrace this diversity in viewpoints will help you not only grow as a person, but help our society continue making cutting-edge discoveries and innovations in the future. So, if you have one takeaway from this article, I want you to appreciate different viewpoints because they are everywhere around us.

Nihal is a sophomore majoring in biochemistry. How do you define diversity? Have your views been impacted by your time in college? Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.