UW-Madison Police Department will have a new chief beginning Jan. 9, 2017. 

UWPD names Kristen Roman as chief of police

University officials announced Friday that Kristen Roman will be the next UW-Madison Police Department chief.

Roman is currently a Madison Police Department captain and previously served as a patrol lieutenant. She will begin her duties at UWPD Jan. 9, 2017.

She was the first captain to lead the Community Outreach Section of the department, according to university officials. Within this section, she formed a team that would help individuals with mental illness avoid the justice system and aid them in receiving necessary treatment.

Roman received her bachelor’s degree from UW-Madison and worked closely with the campus community during her time at MPD. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Laurent Heller, who took part in selecting Roman, said she will bring a deep understanding of issues facing UW-Madison and the greater Madison community.

“Kristen will be an excellent leader for our exceptional and engaged police department,” Heller said in the release. “Her experiences and skills are a good fit with the missions of UW-Madison and its police department.”

Roman will succeed Sue Riseling, who retired from the department in August after 25 years as chief. Interim Chief Brian Bridges will continue to hold the position until Roman officially begins her duties in January.