Homeward bound: Sam Brotherton called up to New Zealand National Team

Defender Sam Brotherton of the Wisconsin men’s soccer team has been called up to the New Zealand national team once again, as the sophomore looks to add to his six caps with the All Whites.

“It’s an amazing feeling, obviously; I never take it for granted,” Brotherton said. “So it’s kinda the same feeling of great pride every time, it’s really an honor.”

As a second-year player for the Badgers, Brotherton is the only non-professional on the national team, but said his amateur status is essentially irrelevant once he steps on the field.

“Once you’re on the pitch, it really doesn’t matter. It doesn’t change anything,” he said. “We’re all soccer players.”

At the same time, Brotherton is aware of the talent surrounding him on the New Zealand squad, and recognizes the opportunity to play with and learn from older teammates.

One of those teammates is West Ham center back Winston Reid, the captain of the All Whites. Brotherton said he admired how Reid carries himself on and off the field, as he looks to learn as much as possible from the Premier League veteran.

Brotherton’s New Zealand call-up means he will not only play for a different team, but in a completely different atmosphere as well. Just four days ago he helped the Badgers defeat Rutgers at the McClimon Complex, but on Oct. 11 New Zealand will face the U.S. Men’s National Team at the Robert F. Kennedy Stadium, a building capable of holding more than 45,000 fans.

However, Brotherton thinks the height of the occasion will bring out his best (if he’s called upon), and doesn’t seem fazed by the change of scenery.

“In some aspects you just have to look at it as another soccer game,” he said.

The All Whites will face Mexico in Nashville on Oct. 8 before playing the U.S. three days later in Washington D.C.

Until then, Brotherton says he will compete his hardest in training, hoping to cement a place in the New Zealand setup.