Tom Barlow

Junior Tom Barlow must be an offensive threat for the Badgers this year. 

Wisconsin will need to fix scoring woes to see success in 2016

After a season that saw the Wisconsin soccer team win only five of its 19 games, the Badgers have reason to be cautiously optimistic heading into the 2016 campaign.

Christopher Mueller, Tom Barlow and Mark Segbers all return to the team after impressive sophomore seasons, with all expected to progress and shoulder more responsibility. After posting at least three goals apiece in the 2015 season - Mueller led the team with five - these juniors are ready to spearhead a potentially exciting attack whose cohesiveness and fluidity should only increase with time.

In defense, the Badgers will also welcome back two major contributors in Sam Brotherton and Matej Radonic. Hailing from New Zealand and Croatia respectively, the two have both seamlessly transitioned to NCAA Division 1 soccer, becoming regular and reliable contributors for the Badgers at the back. While Radonic will look to end his senior season impressively, Brotherton will be looking to build on his stellar freshman campaign.

Head coach John Trask will hope to see some of his new recruits adapt in the manner Brotherton and Radonic have, as three of the team’s 10 incoming freshmen are from overseas.

Alejandro Estrelles Hernanz, originally from Barcelona, will hope to bring some flair to the Wisconsin attack. He is coming off a season where he was directly involved in 21 goals for his club team, the FC Stars from Massachusetts.

Noah Leibold comes from Wiesbaden, Germany as a transfer student, and is looking to get the chance to showcase his experience and poise for the Badgers. The midfielder/defender groomed his skills in the academy of first division German club FSV Mainz. Wisconsin is getting a good player and perhaps one who could become great in time.

Finally, Nicolas Dutil of Saint-Georges, Quebec, Canada, joins Trask’s squad. The 6-foot-3 true freshman will add depth at the goalie position for Wisconsin.

The answer to the Badgers’ recent woes probably isn’t to be overly careful with the 10 freshmen, or contrarily throw them into game action right away. Rather, Trask will likely look for a happy medium, giving chances to worthy youngsters while still remaining loyal to those who have proven themselves in recent years. That means players like Brotherton and Barlow should have little to worry about.

If the team’s more experienced players continue to make strides, and a few of the freshmen acclimate quickly, then perhaps Wisconsin will be able to tame its difficult schedule.

The Badgers’ fixtures include dates with conference foes Maryland and Indiana, both currently ranked in the top 10 of the NSCAA Top 25. After being comfortably beaten 4-1 by the Terrapins last year, and losing two 1-0 heartbreakers to the Hoosiers, the Badgers will be hungry to gain back some Big Ten respectability.

Also on Wisconsin’s schedule are Saint Louis, Ohio State, Rutgers and Penn State. All of these teams received votes in the most recent NSCAA Top 25, and should prove to be stout opponents for the Badgers.

Ultimately, the Badgers will need to increase their scoring output this season to give themselves any chance of improving. Although the defense was not blameless in the 2015 campaign, 19 goals scored in 19 games is a rather paltry sum that makes it extremely difficult to win games in a conference as strong as the Big Ten.

Wisconsin’s scoring woes have carried over into the current season, as the Badgers currently stand with one goal scored through two games. After splitting the first two games of the season (a 1-0 win vs. Santa Clara, and a loss at FIU by the same score,) the Badgers can at least point to a respectable record for now. However, a meager seven shots on goal in two games shows the Badgers still have a long way to go to reach legitimate offensive potency.

The Badgers’ next game, home vs. Michigan, will signal the beginning of conference play and an arduous stretch that will reveal the type of team Trask truly has on his hands.

No turning back now.