Wisconsin Union’s weekly campus farmers’ market sells fresh, local produce

The Wisconsin Union hosted a campus farmers’ market outside the main entrance of Union South Thursday.

A campus farmers’ market occurs at the same place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Thursday until Oct. 27. Various local producers sell their foods which, according to Wisconsin Union account representative Meghan Roberts, are all used in the food made by Wisconsin Union dining services.

"We ask vendors that we buy produce for our dining units already to come and make produce accessible for students,” Roberts said.

The prices of the produce are also convenient for students. Roberts said the union charges the vendors the lowest rate it can to bring them to the market so they can sell food at the affordable prices.

Featured vendors include Tummy Yummies, a gluten-free sweet treat business; Clean Fresh Food, an aquaponics lettuce, flower and herb garden and UW-Madison’s own Babcock Hall Dairy and Bucky’s Butchery. These producers contribute items to the market’s new Farm to Table bags, which Roberts said are “like a Community Supported Agriculture for beginners.”

“We don’t require the membership a typical CSA asks for, but just ask for weekly interest,” Roberts said. “Everything in the bags will help make a salad, and includes beginner recipe cards.”

The Farm to Table bags contain fresh fruits and vegetables, and samples are available at the table. According to Roberts, the Wisconsin Union encourages sustainable practices by lowering the price of these bags if buyers use canvas bags.

F.H. King members frequently staff an information table at the market and emphasize these concepts as well. They are one group of rotating organizations that are featured at the market, along with University Health Services and Wisconsin Union Directorate Cuisine, to educate shoppers about food, health and more.

“It is woven into the Wisconsin Union’s mission to bring affordable, accessible produce to students,” Roberts said. “We want to make sure students have the opportunity to learn about aquaponics, sustainability, organic farming methods and that you have access to these foods right here on campus.”