Corey Clement collected 100 yards and a score against Northwestern. 

Wisconsin dominates Akron in first home game of 2016 campaign

The Wisconsin Badgers’ (2-0) home opener went about as smooth as they could ask for, cruising to a 54-10 victory over the Akron Zips (1-1). Any doubts of a let-down following their big win over LSU were eliminated pretty early, as UW controlled the clock and the game from the start at Camp Randall Stadium.

Receiving the opening kickoff, the Badgers possessed the ball for the first seven minutes of the game, pounding the ball down the field on a 13-play touchdown drive that set the tone for the day. Redshirt senior quarterback Bart Houston was able to go into game-manager mode, not having to do to much, as senior running back Corey Clement moved the offense down the field.

111 yards on the ground from Clement and 231 in the air from Houston were enough for four touchdowns between them, and both took early exits from the game with the lead firmly in hand. However, the senior running back suffered a left leg injury late in the second quarter, and that was ultimately the reason listed for his exit. Houston left in the third quarter after his team went up 33-10.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Alex Hornibrook came into the game and picked up right where Houston left off. Combined with some nice runs from fellow-redshirt freshman running back Bradrick Shaw, Wisconsin added 21 more points to the scoreboard as their defense continued to shut down the Akron offense.

UW ended up winning the time of possession battle over 40 minutes to 20 minutes, as the Zips only touchdown came on a punt return. Special teams was the only area for the Badgers that wasn’t dominant in an expectedly easy victory against their MAC opponent.