Double-overtime doubleheader: Badgers waste Wolverines in sudden death

The Wisconsin (1-0-0 Big Ten, 2-1-1 overall) men’s soccer team earned its second win of the season on Friday, as junior forward Tom Barlow notched the winner in double overtime to sink Michigan (0-1-0, 0-2-3) by a score of 2-1.

The win was a fantastic start to conference play, and replicated the efforts of the women’s team, which also won in double overtime Friday.

The Badgers and Wolverines both posted at least 20 shots apiece in a thrilling, end-to-end affair that allowed for some moments of breathtaking attacking play.

One of those moments was Wisconsin’s first goal, as junior midfielder Christopher Mueller and junior forward Mark Segbers combined for the opener. As the former held up the ball, the latter sprinted in behind the defense before receiving the ball, rounding the goalie and tapping it into an empty net.

“Throughout the year coach has been working on me staying wide to open up more space for me to make runs like those,” Segbers said after the game. “I think it’s just my spacing, my timing. When Chris [Mueller] looked up, I made that run into that huge gap, and then I was lucky enough to put it away.”

In the roughly 17 minutes following Segber's goal, the Badgers organized themselves well defensively, frustrating the Wolverines with their un-fussy, assured play and took control of the game.

With their collective defensive performance, the Badgers managed to largely quiet Michigan’s all-conference sophomore forward Francis Atuahene in the first half. Though the Ghanaian international started off the match with vigor, he became visibly frustrated as the half wore on, as his opponents managed to cut off his service.

That changed, at least for a moment, in the second half.

After Segbers hit the post just seconds into the half for Wisconsin, Atuahene scored for the Wolverines about a minute later. Against the run of play, the forward quickly burst through the Wisconsin defense, getting his team back in the match and silencing Badger fans at the McClimon Complex.

Despite Atuahene’s goal, coach John Trask was extremely pleased with how his players handled him throughout the match.

“Francis is an excellent player,” Trask said. “I thought we did a very good job for the most part containing him. He scooted loose on the one [goal], he’s very quick and he finished it well. I wish we could’ve buttoned him up for 90 minutes, but good players find a way to have an impact in the game. Fortunately as a team we were able to overcome his moment of activity.”

Following Atuahene’s goal, the game was extremely tight, as both teams pushed aggressively for a winner. Wisconsin’s Phillip Schilling and Michigan’s Evan Louro were integral in thwarting these efforts, as both made some miraculous saves to keep their respective teams level.

Regulation time came and went with no additional goals, as did single overtime, leaving both teams 10 final minutes to produce some magic.

Wisconsin, with less than three minutes left to play, found something of the sort, as Barlow bundled a shot under Louro off a Mike Catalano assist. It wasn’t pretty, but that mattered not: The Badgers had their first conference victory of the year, and the student section celebrated raucously.

Barlow’s goal capped off a frustrating but ultimately satisfying night for the Badgers, as they probably were probably surprised they couldn’t find a winner in regulation time. Still, coach Trask was pleased with the look of his attack on Friday.

“I thought we had good penetration and created plenty of opportunities,” Trask said. “Not every shot in soccer goes in the net.”

Though two goals on 20 shots isn’t necessarily ideal, Trask has every right to laud his players and recognize the progress they’ve made. The Badgers’ seven shots on target versus Michigan were the most in any single game this season, and they will hope to see that number continue to rise.

The Badgers will try to earn their second conference win on Wednesday, as they travel to Evanston to face a solid Northwestern team.

After his team’s impressive victory, though, coach Trask doesn’t seem too fazed by the Badgers’ upcoming task.

“We’ll be on the road Tuesday, ready to kick some ass on Wednesday.”