The Overture Center on State Street hosts an annual favorite Welcome Week event.

Night at the Overture promises incoming students a social preview of arts on campus

Incoming freshmen and fellow undergraduates of UW-Madison will have the opportunity to explore and appreciate some of the art and talent that Madison has to offer at Night at the Overture on Sept. 2. This is an opportunity to get out of your recently moved-in dorm room, explore State Street and bond with many of your fellow Badgers at this highly anticipated Welcome Week event. Along with thousands of other fresh-faced students on campus, this is a perfect way to begin your first Friday night in Madison! As an incoming junior, I have such positive thoughts when I reminisce on this night, and as a person who appreciates the details, I am going to share with you just exactly how this evening works.

Your night will probably begin like mine, which includes finally saying goodbye to my parents; my move-in process took three days before my mom and dad were eventually ready to depart and begin their empty nesting back home. I immediately began texting and chatting with the fellow teens in my hall in order to figure out our plans for the night. And after Google Maps told us that the Overture Center was a few blocks down State Street, we began our journey.

There was already quite a buzz as everyone began to line up outside. This included saying hello to numerous people I recognized from SOAR, kids from my dorm and, of course, those few high-school-turned-college friends. As soon as the Overture doors opened, students flooded toward different theaters that included a variety of acts like magic, a cappella and comedy. There was a stage for karaoke and even a hypnotist. Many of these shows are actually performed by student groups on campus, giving everyone the chance to see a sneak peak of organizations they can join once school starts. The next few hours have you completely entertained as you move from theater to theater, and the night isn’t over until you’ve taken way too many pictures and videos and exchanged as many numbers as you can before your phone dies. That being said, here are a few tips before you go.

Bring a buddy. The Overture can get quite crowded so go with at least one friend (new or old) with whom you can share inside jokes, and so you don't have to worry about getting separated.

Charge your phone. I know I ended up taking so many pictures and videos of people I barely knew who were hypnotized on stage or singing karaoke. I love to revel in my youthful days as a freshman, so having photos to look back on makes me extremely happy.

Go with the flow. There’s a lot to see and everything may not go according to plan so just have fun and make the most of your first night at college!

Enjoy your experience at Night at the Overture and maybe I’ll see you there! I hope you're excited to be a part of the amazing Madison community and fully embrace our Badger pride. And remember, this event is an excellent way to dip your toes in all the arts community has to offer.