Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Kinky Boots dazzles audiences with stunning talent and design

A soon-to-be out-of-business shoe factory is saved by a fortuitous encounter with a team of drag queens, needing footwear that can meet the needs of their profession. This was all I knew about the show Kinky Boots, a Tony Award-winning broadway musical, before I had the opportunity to see it on July 12 at the Overture Center. I was extremely excited as it had been quite awhile since I’ve indulged in live theater, and I love experiencing the magic that happens on stage.

As I walked into the Overture Hall, I quickly noticed that I was one of the youngest people in the audience. During the current state of politics, I am too used to hearing accounts of older generations being close-minded and quick to reject new ways of life. But as I sat amongst a sea of white hair and quiet grins, I was comforted by the fact that these people were willingly here to see a show about questioning gender roles and learning self-acceptance. And although Kinky Boots has been around for over a decade, I appreciated the progressiveness.

For the first few minutes of the show, I kept laughing as I was quickly reminded that this is entirely centered around shoes. In fact, the opening number states that shoes are “the most beautiful thing in the world.” While the cast continued to praise and stress how important a good pair of shoes were, I became self conscious about my hastily slipped-on, three-year-old Sperrys that were on my own feet.

I’m not sure what happened during this show’s rehearsals, but it was incredibly evident that the director, Jerry Mitchell, worked on building strong chemistry between all of the actors. My favorite character, as I’m sure most people who’ve seen this show would agree, was Lola, the lead. J. Harrison Ghee was absolutely incredible at this role and instantly made this one of the most fun shows I’ve ever seen. He was so charismatic on stage and the strength and power behind every word and vocal he sang kept me engaged the entire time. He was vivacious and demanded your attention. I couldn’t get over how wonderfully he was able to switch from a sweet, quiet and self-conscious man to a bold, powerhouse drag queen.

While some of the other actors didn’t have as impressive voices and ranges as J. Harrison Ghee, I thought the entire cast ultimately pulled off an impeccable show. Adam Kaplan, who plays Charlie Price, had a unique voice and during some of his solos, he reminded me of Fall Out Boy. I’d be interested to know if anyone else who saw this show made the same ’05 throwback comparison. Whether it was a dorky older woman fighting her silly crush or a bigoted factory worker, the characters that comprised this show were incredibly enjoyable.

Now let’s talk drag queens for a second. I have yet to see a real life drag show, but I think I might have to make room in my calendar. First off, the costume and set design by Gregg Barnes and David Rockwell were stunning. Every outfit was coordinated with the set and really stole the show. In my opinion, their outfits were the cherry on top, and this would be reason enough for everyone to go see this show. My jaw continued to drop as they danced and jumped in outrageous heels. I can only imagine how sore their calves must’ve been after their first time in these clothes, but they carried themselves around stage effortlessly. Every time Lola came back on stage, I was anxious to see what she would be wearing next. And with the eagerly awaited reveal of the show’s “kinky boots,” I was not let down at all.

Besides all the glitter and flare that wowed the audience, the messages behind every scene and song were so powerful. It offered moments of self-reflection and emphasized being independent and confident in your true self. Self-acceptance was a common theme throughout the show and though “Land of Lola” was easily the most exciting number, I would say that “Not My Father’s Son” was so personal and deep and offered so much more insight into Lola’s character.

Overall, I would without a doubt go see this show again. By the very end I was laughing and actually cheering out loud in the audience. And when any show gets me this excited, I find myself listening to their soundtrack on repeat just to relive my experience.