Greg Gard & Lamont Paris

Gard promotes Paris, finalizes staff

After adding a new assistant last week, Wisconsin head coach Greg Gard officially finalized his coaching staff for the 2016-’17 season Tuesday afternoon.

Gard will retain assistants Lamont Paris and Howard Moore, who will be joined by recent hire Joe Krabbenhoft, and director of basketball operations Kat Vosters, according to a university press release.

“I’m very excited to be able to keep Lamont, Howard and Kat on staff,” Gard said in a statement. “Having continuity within our program is important and each of these three individuals brings a valuable skill set and the character that makes Wisconsin basketball so successful.”

Gard also announced that Paris has been promoted to associate head coach, the position Gard held under previous head coach Bo Ryan. Paris joined the Badgers as an assistant in 2010 after spending five seasons on Keith Dambrot’s staff at Akron.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal’s Jim Polzin, Paris interviewed for the head coaching opening at Stony Brook, a job that ultimately went to Ohio State assistant Jeff Boals.

“I am also very pleased to elevate Lamont to associate head coach,” Gard said. “He is richly deserving of the title change and added responsibilities. From on-court coaching, recruiting and player development, to camps, he will have a major role in everything we do.”

Moore will remain on Gard’s staff after returning to his alma mater midseason following Ryan’s abrupt retirement. Moore played for the Badgers from 1990 to 1995 and later served on Ryan’s coaching staff from 2005 to 2010. He also spent five seasons as the head coach at the University of Illinois-Chicago from 2010 to 2015.

“Howard made invaluable contributions since joining our staff in the middle of the season and I’m thrilled that he will be with us for the long term,” Gard said. “He had an immediate impact on our current players and is vital to keeping our strong connection to past UW players and coaches.”

Rounding out Gard’s staff is Vosters, who will enter her third season as the men’s basketball program’s director of operations. Vosters, a 2013 graduate of Wisconsin, spent four years as a team manager and one season as a program assistant before moving into her current position.

“Retaining Kat was also essential to what we want to accomplish,” Gard said. “She has been a tremendous asset in my transition and her professionalism and expertise with our program helps keep everything running smoothly.”