Kelsey Card and Zak Showalter

Kelsey Card (second from left) and Zak Showalter (right) were named UW-Madison's Student Athletes of the Year at the Buckinghams Tuesday night.

Card, Showalter win Student Athlete of the Year awards

One of the biggest honors one can receive as a student athlete at the University of Wisconsin is the Student Athlete of the Year award. A combination of excellence in academics, athletics and character, the winners of this award must be the total package. This year’s award winners were no exception.

Zak Showalter, the male winner of the award, came into the basketball program as a walk-on shooting guard as a freshman and soon earned a scholarship—he is now a redshirt junior. Off the court, he is double majoring in two challenging fields, accounting and finance, and is involved in many student organizations and community service projects. Showalter led his team to an incredible comeback run this past season that culminated in a Sweet 16 appearance at the NCAA Tournament.

“It was very exciting [finding out I won],” Showalter said. “There were some very good nominees, so to be able to win this award at this university, it’s an honor.”

Kelsey Card, the female winner, is a redshirt senior on the track and field team, where she throws shot and discus. Perhaps the most successful women’s track athlete at UW in recent memory, she has qualified for Olympic Trials as well as has won multiple Big Ten championships. 

Off the track, she is an Academic All-Big Ten honoree and will graduate in May with degrees in Human Development and Family Studies and Gender and Women’s Studies. She too has committed her time to both student organizations and community service, most notably writing a blog for UW Athletics’ Varsity magazine.

“I was really excited and super shocked [to find out I won],” Card said.

This award aside, both Card and Showalter have exciting things to look forward to in the near future.

“I’m most excited for graduation,” Card said. “Unfortunately it’s during Big Tens so I don’t get to go. But there’s outdoor Big Tens, then Regionals, then [NCAAs], then Olympic Trials.”

“I’ve gotta repeat, I’ve got another year,” Showalter said. “I’ve gotta put some work in and earn this award again for next year.”