UW-Madison student dies while studying abroad

UW-Madison announced Tuesday UW-Madison junior Alexander Fish died unexpectedly over the weekend while studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain.

No further details have been provided about the cause of death, but the university said other students in the program are not at risk and no foul play occurred.

Fish, from Mequon, Wis., studied in the Wisconsin School of Business and was majoring in international business and finance, according to a university release.

He made the Dean’s List the previous three semesters and was involved in many student organizations, including Capital Management Club, Badger Diabetes Advocates, Personal Investments and Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity.

Vice Provost and Dean of Students Lori Berquam offered condolences and support to Fish’s family in the release.

“We grieve with Alex’s loved ones, now and in the coming weeks,” Berquam said. “His excitement at exploring the world exemplifies what it means to be a Badger. Alex was extremely involved on our campus, and his loss will be felt by many.”

The university encouraged grieving students to contact University Health Services if they need counseling or support.