Hoslet was named the new vice chancellor for university relations Tuesday.

UW-Madison alumnus Charles Hoslet named vice chancellor for university relations

UW-Madison announced Tuesday that Charles Hoslet will fill the position of vice chancellor for university relations.

Hoslet, a Green Bay native and UW-Madison law school alumnus, had been serving in the role on an interim basis since Vince Sweeney retired from the post in August.

Hoslet said he was “honored” to become Sweeney’s permanent replacement.

"I will continue to strengthen our efforts to share the impact of the university with people around Wisconsin and beyond,” he said in a statement.

The vice chancellor for university relations is responsible for “strategic short-term and long-term communications and relationship building with key external audiences and with the multiple internal audiences inside the university,” according to UW-Madison’s website.

Hoslet was director of state relations at UW-Madison from 1997 to 2003 before serving as managing director of the university’s Office of Corporate Relations from 2003 to 2013. He then was named associate vice chancellor for government and corporate affairs, a position he held until 2015.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank said the university chose Hoslet because of his experience and reputation in Madison and around the state.

“Charlie is a Badger through and through,” Blank said in a statement. “No one is better positioned to expand our outreach efforts in the near future.”