Matt Ferris

The wait is over: It's Greg Gard's time to shine

Think about the last time you waited a substantial period of time for something you truly cared about. This could be the treacherous wait for your dream college acceptance letter. Maybe it’s waiting to get your coveted driver’s license so your parents no longer need to drop you off for dates with your girlfriend. For me, the toughest wait is probably the 10 minutes for the pizza rolls to be done cooking.

However, for one proud Wisconsinite, the wait lasted 26 years. No, he wasn't waiting 26 years for pizza rolls. He was waiting for his dream job.

On Tuesday, March 8, the University of Wisconsin named Greg Gard as its new head basketball coach. The press conference contained a lengthy standing ovation. If you listened closely, you could hear the rest of the state applauding, too.

And rightfully so. Coach Gard has turned a team destined for mediocrity into one of the most dangerous teams in the Big Ten and country. Once a long shot for the NCAA Tournament, we’re now sure to be a lock as a single digit seed. Once trending toward the bottom of the Big Ten, we’ve now finished in the top four of the league for a conference record 16th consecutive time.

Anyone who has followed Coach Bo Ryan’s coaching career knows it’s stocked full with successes and championships. No discredit to Coach Ryan, but even the best head coaches rely heavily on their top assistants. Coach Gard was Ryan’s right-hand man for the past twenty years, and he knows a thing or two about success.

Honestly the only thing that concerns me in Coach Gard becoming permanent head coach is that I won’t have another opportunity to play for him on the scout team during practice. I always enjoyed learning various Big Ten offenses with Coach Gard, but I guess all good things must come to an end. In that sense, I bid you farewell, Coach.

On the night Coach Ryan retired, Coach Gard reiterated that this season was about us, the players, and not him. However, a unit is only as good as the one giving it direction. Lucky for us, we have one of the best in the business pointing us in the right way for years to come.