Matt Ferris

In retrospect: An ode to the memorable 2015-’16 Wisconsin Badgers

Just like that, it’s done. All the early mornings, late nights, road trips and long practices reduced to a teary-eyed and gloomy locker room with embraces available from all. Endings suck.

Athletes at all levels know the feeling. It feels like a sucker punch straight to the gut as the final buzzer sounds, a constant reminder that the season has concluded. As you peer into the eyes of the family next to you, you come to the realization that next year won’t be quite the same because, well, it never is.

Fans marginally understand this feeling. They may feel disheartened for their beloved group of athletes, but that disheartenment vanishes as quickly as they can order another round of drinks. The majority will move on within an hour or two.

The athletes are different. Only the athletes feel the end’s finality. Only the athletes set their alarms for 6 a.m. every morning in the summer for lifting sessions. Only the athletes felt their lungs and legs burning during conditioning hill runs in 80-degree weather. Only the athletes amassed thousands upon thousands of hours honing their craft during never-ending practices. All of that dedication comes crashing down as that final, horrid buzzer sounds.

Approximately three months ago, in the middle of January, one annoying question resurfaced in virtually all my conversations. Sometimes it was disguised to be polite, other times utterly blunt: “So…are you guys going to make the tournament?”

At that time, this question was rightfully warranted. After all, our legendary head coach retired a couple weeks earlier. We had just lost to a mediocre Northwestern team, leaving us at a 9-9 record with a 1-4 start in the Big Ten. On top of that, the toughest stretch of the schedule was coming up. Things looked anything but promising.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, we began to win games. Lots of them. That talk about making the tournament? Vanished. We won 11 of 12 games, cementing ourselves into our 16-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.

Not only did we make the tournament, but we had a successful run. As a seven-seed, we defeated 10-seed Pittsburgh and then upset the second-seed Xavier to make it to the Sweet 16 for the fifth time in the past six years. Pretty decent for a team who wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place.

Looking back, it would have certainly been easy to throw in the towel and live for another season. After all, programs consistently experience down years and, after back-to-back Final Fours, it appeared as though we were having one. We had all the excuses imaginable: five integral players of last year’s team gone, eight freshmen on the roster and a coaching change halfway through the season. It would have been completely adequate to finish the season with a .500 record, miss the tournament and title it a “rebuilding year.”

But we didn’t let that happen. We figuratively (and literally) rolled up our sleeves and got to work. Some important person once said that excuses are the nails used to build the house of failure. And we had absolutely zero interest in that type of real estate.

Looking back, this season demonstrated the outstanding character in our basketball program. From the coaches down to the players, not a single soul settled for mediocrity, but instead strived for greatness.

Although we fell short of our ultimate goal, the season proved an impressive success for the Wisconsin Badgers. The preparation for next year begins now, as we ceaselessly work for future success.

So, for now, I bid you adieu. Until next year, Badger fanatics.

As always, Walk-On, Wisconsin.

The Daily Cardinal would like to thank Matt for contributing to the sports page this semester. The Cardinal has appreciated his honesty and transparency, and hopes his columns provided a unique look into the life of a Wisconsin Badger basketball player.

Have any parting thoughts on UW’s 2015-’16 season? Did the Badgers exceed your expectations, or are you still bitter from their Sweet 16 loss to Notre Dame? Let Matt know at sports@dailycardinal.com.