Fate of college affordability package uncertain

The Wisconsin Assembly passed a package of bills to address college affordability last month, but the fate of the legislation remains uncertain with an end to the two-year session looming.

The bills, introduced by Gov. Scott Walker in his January State of the State address, intend to reduce the debt burden on college students and implement career placement services. Other proposals in the bills include plans to lift the cap on tax-deductible student loan interest and boost grants for technical college students.

The plans are not entirely supported by state Republicans, as the cost exceeds the amount many lawmakers are anticipating for the current budget cycle. The programs are currently projected to cost $10 million.

“It’s just when you’re talking about initiatives and certain things that you wanted to accomplish in this legislative session, I think some of those are going to have to be pared back,” Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald told “UpFront with Mike Gousha” last month regarding the college affordability proposals.

Fitzgerald added that legislators are looking to provide closer to $2 million in funding for the initiatives.

In addition to fiscal criticism, the legislative package faces opposition from state Democrats with worries that the measures are inadequate to address the problems with financing a college education.

“We should be doing something big, something bold,” said state Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison. “Not these peanuts … that don’t do what our students need you to do.”

Any budgetary changes to the bills would require the Assembly to re-pass the legislation, something they may not do.

“We have completed our work for the legislative sessions,” said Kit Beyer, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester.

If the Assembly does not take up the college affordability package, it faces the possibility of not being passed.