Mariah Watts

After Louisville jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning against Kirsten Stevens , Mariah Watts slowed down the Cardinals until their four-run outburst in the sixth inning. 

Wisconsin stumbles in first game of ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Badgers fall to Louisville 7-1 after rough first inning

Wisconsin dropped its first game of the inaugural ACC/Big Ten Softball Challenge 7-1 to Louisville in Raleigh, N.C., Friday afternoon.

Louisville (5-1 overall) jumped out to a 3-0 lead and knocked junior pitcher Kirsten Stevens (1.0 inning, three hits, three runs, one unearned run and one strikeout) out after the first inning. Sophomore Mariah Watts relieved Stevens and quieted the Cardinals for the next four innings.

The Badgers’ first two batters reached base in the top of the sixth inning on a walk by sophomore third baseman Kelsey Jenkins and a single by senior infielder Ashley Van Zeeland. Junior Chloe Miller then reached on a fielder’s choice. An overthrow by Louisville catcher Alison Szydlowski on a stolen base by Miller allowed Jenkins to score the Badgers’ lone run.

That was as close as UW would get. Louisville would add four more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, highlighted by three solo home runs, including back-to-back homers off Watts, to seal the victory.

The Badgers struggled offensively, managing a season-low two hits, while striking out five times.

Wisconsin continues play in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge Saturday with a double header against Louisville at 1:30 p.m. and North Carolina State (3-2 overall) at 6:30 p.m.