UW-Madison provides a unique biotechnology program for graduate students

In an effort to remain a leader in the field, UW-Madison offers a master’s degree in biotechnology to merge science, business and law practices into a single, comprehensive program.

Roughly 300 students have graduated from the program, which is focused on the medical and industrial applications involving genetically modified organisms, according to a university release.

The courses feature both online and in-person components and occur either during the evening or weekends, which allows for working students to still maintain employment.

Director Kurt Zimmerman said the multifaceted program was designed in 2002 in an attempt to best help enrolled students, whose tuition is often partially paid for by their employers, advance their careers in a constantly advancing field, according to a university release.

“Students already have a working knowledge of their field, but have a desire to broaden their skills and advance in their careers,” Zimmerman said in the release. “It’s an integrated curriculum that prepares students to lead development and commercialization of promising new technologies.”