Ashley Van Zeeland

Ashley Van Zeeland went 3-for-4 with a run scored against UNLV. 

Powerful offensive output propels Wisconsin in final game of Kajikawa Classic

Badgers score seven unanswered runs to top UC Riverside

The Wisconsin softball team ended the Kajikawa Classic with a bang Sunday, defeating UC Riverside by a score of 9-1. The win was the team’s third consecutive victory and fourth in five games.

Ashley Van Zeeland, Kelly Welsh, Chloe Miller and Samantha Arents had two hits apiece, with the latter two hitting home runs in the game.

The Badgers didn’t waste any time getting on the scoreboard, as Van Zeeland and Miller scored runs in the first inning. The second inning saw a response from UC Riverside, as Stephanie Tickemyer singled and brought Haley Harris home to cut Wisconsin’s lead in half.

The Bears failed to score again that inning and the next three innings that followed, but Wisconsin scored seven more times and ran away with the game.

While the Badgers showcased their offensive firepower, Kristen Stevens’ pitching was also instrumental to Sunday’s victory. The junior pitched four strong innings, allowing just four hits and one earned run. She also had three strikeouts.

The Badgers played well Sunday, and head coach Yvette Healy praised her squad after the game.

“I really thought it was an all-around team effort with good pitching, good defense and timely hitting,” Healy told UWBadgers.com. “What stands out the most to me is the powerful performances from our young players to come out like that during this opening weekend.”

Next on the Badgers’ schedule is the ACC/Big Ten Challenge starting Friday, where they will face Louisville and North Carolina State.

The former, like Wisconsin, has started the season by winning four of its first five games, while the latter has opened the season with a 3-2 record.

The Badgers will be looking to keep their strong tournament form going against these teams.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.