New UW Law School programs helps underrepresented applicants

First and second-year college students can now apply to the inaugural James E. Jones Jr. Pre-Law Scholars Program at the UW Law School.

The James E. Jones Jr. Pre-Law Scholars Program, which is named after the UW Law School’s first black faculty member, aims to “improve access to legal education for students from historically underrepresented groups and socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds,” according to a university release.

Twenty applicants will be accepted into the program that will run from June 6 to July 1 in Madison. The program is offered at no cost to the students, as tuition, room and board will be covered, and a $1,000 stipend will be provided.

The program will offer a variety of classes, including an introductory law course and advice on law school applications.

“This is an extraordinary opportunity to help a richly diverse group of undergraduates explore whether law school is the right choice for them,” said UW Law School Dean Margaret Raymond in the release. “Working with UW Law School’s top-notch faculty and staff, they get a sense of what the J.D. program entails and the kinds of careers it will make possible.”

The application period will close April 1.