Madison firefighters put out a fire on the 3500 block of Blackhawk Drive early Thursday morning, after a neighbor reported seeing bright lights in the basement which they thought to be flames.
After completing an exterior examination of the house around 6 a.m., firefighters determined the fire was on the first and second floor, according to a Madison Fire Department daily report.
Firefighters entered the house to find thick black smoke and zero visibility. They also found the floor to be “spongy,” and backed out to fight defensively from the outside.
After the fire was reduced from the outside, firefighters re-entered the house and found the floor partially collapsed. They determined the fire started in the basement, but have not established a cause.
The house was for sale and no one was home during the blaze. In addition, no firefighters were harmed while fighting the fire.